Thursday, September 18, 2008

ALL TOGETHER NOW

So let's talk about what a waste of a DVD release the upcoming ALL TOGETHER NOW is! I mean, good grief! This is a zero-interest documentary for the serious Beatles fan and guaranteed to be a one-viewing only snooze inducer for all others. Does anyone really care about how the Cirque de Soleil LOVE show was put together? Sure, the music was interesting (and I'm sure the sound at the show - which I haven't seen and have no desire to - is nothing short of stunning) but in what world do we live in where Apple considers this to be a viable release?!

Mind you, I am most certainly not one of those hard-core enthusiasts who are apoplectic about the non-availability of a remastered Beatles catalogue (the current versions on CD are excellent, no matter what the bit rate is), but why shell out hard-earned money for something that is tangentially Beatles-related as opposed to the real thing? And it's not even a professionally recorded version of the show! It's about the making of the show!! Which is only playing in one place: Las Vegas!!! Criminy!!!!

How the Hollywood Bowl concerts haven't been released is beyond me (I don't buy the "those who really want those shows have them already from alternate sources" argument). Or even a DVD release of all the promotional clips the Fabs did.

But a behind-the-scenes of LOVE?

I think not.

Comments welcome!

Jeremy Boob

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree 100% with you on everything.
The Hollywood bowl cd has been remastered by Sir George Martin in 1997, but it's not available as of yet.
Magical Mystery Tour is getting remastered , it should come out before this dvd.
Let it be, a whole story here as to why it should already be out.
The Beatle's video collection on dvd.
But instead of these great releases, we get a dvd release of a making of....
Had this dvd been the complete show, then for Cirque fans, it would be a must, but as it stands, it doesn't do Cirque or the Beatles justice.
It was great as a t.v. special, but that's about it.

Great blog.

Capitán Centollo M.B.E. said...

Hi!
I do absolutely agree with everything you say. Apple should forget about this All Together Now project and focus on really interesting things, such as Let It Be, or live compilations, or promo tapes... not on uninteresting material. As allan67 said "it was great as a t.v. special, but that's about it". I am afraid we had enough of the excelencies of the show when they realeased the album Love, whose promotion campaign was accompanied with interesting clips. I am sure most fans don't want to see again all the clips and bits and pieces which were distributed during the promotion of Love.
I personally don't want to listen to Paul/Ringo saying how much the enjoyed doing the thing, or Olivia/Yoko saying the predictable "Oh! George/John would have loved it", or lots of people saying how great The Beatles were, or, even worse, watching members of the crew saying things like "Oh! Paul was here and he was so natural. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him coming in!".
Do we really want to go through that crap again? Do we really want to buy a self-celebratory, onanistic documentary? I don't. I would be glad to spend my money on Let It Be, or a decent DVD version of Magicla Mystery Tour, or on remastered/remixed CD's.
Apple, please, "All Together Now" is not what The Beatles fan want. Who wants it anyway?