Tuesday, May 6, 2008

A Brief Introduction And Then On To Other Things...

Hello all! A few months back I offered my blogging services to Steve Marinucci and he was kind enough to take me up on it. I've been a fan of his site for a number of years now and can only hope to offer the quality and class in my ramblings that the site so well deserves. [For those who need to know who I am...suffice it to say I'm in my early 40s, have been a Beatles fan since 6th grade and know for a fact that I am not the best Beatleologist out there!]

That said, let's give it a go!

If you're reading this you've probably been asked any number of times, "What's your favorite Beatles song(s)?" I've been asked this by adults and kids (my kids, that is: I don't wave my Beatles fan flag in the faces of those too young to appreciate it) alike and I have to admit it's a toughie. I usually say I don't have one, offering up five or six titles that the person who's asked would be familiar with - let's face it: no Beatles-lover is ever going to ask another Beatles-lover what his/her favorite Fabs song is - and am usually greeted with something along the lines of, "Oh yeah, those are pretty good songs." That usually seals the conversation, and then we're usually on to the weather or some other topic. What's my point here? Well, for those of us truly steeped in Everything Beatles I believe it's impossible to pick a favorite when it comes to the Beatles. Unlike other bands, we've become so enmeshed in mono/stereo versions, alternate takes and whatnot that the fabrics of the songs have changed. For example, when I hear "Penny Lane" (one of the Top 5 I often quote to others) I can't help thinking "Great song/recording, but I do wonder why they cut that last horn blast off the end that I have on my BEATLES RARITIES album." Hearing a Beatles song doesn't make me sing along (sure, I do act like an idiot when it comes to the air guitar if my wife isn't around) but rather think about all the things I know that went into the song's writing/recording/release/etc. Things that a casual listener would never understand. And things I could never explain. Nor want to. I guess that's what sets us apart from the non-uber fans. Not above them, mind you; just apart.

Jeremy Boob

[Any and all comments are welcome! Drop me a line at jeremyboob@yahoo.com. Probably won't be able to answer each and every e-mail but will do my best to address crossover issues in future posts.]


6 comments:

Lynn McKenzie said...

Welcome to the blogging world, Jeremy! Nice to have you with us.

I know exactly what you mean about Beatles songs. I hear "Strawberry Fields" and "A Day In The Life" in a completely different way than I did as a teenager. This is both good and bad.

My favorite? If I had to choose, it would probably be "I'm A Loser", of all things. I love that guitar solo and harmonica work, as well as Lennon's wistful vocal.

Looking forward to future entries!

Brad Howard said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brad Howard said...

Hi Jeremy,

Your blog is refreshing. Thank you for that.

As a kid, hearing any Beatles song on the radio was a thrill for me. When Sgt. Pepper was released, I heard each song premiered on CFRA in Ottawa. It was breath-taking, as the sound was so new. And, the Beatles' innovation inspired other bands to push their limits, too.

When the Beatles were released on CD for the first time, I was truly excited with what I heard. The sounds were familiar, but fresh.

Today, I await the 5.1 mixes of the Beatles albums that will most likely stir me again.

I cringe when I think of the family HiFi phonograph on which I played my Beatles records back in the '60s. Not much better than a transistor radio. Now, with new technologies, I am able to hear little things on the Beatles recordings that amaze me. And, some of the scores by George Martin are pure genius.

One of my all time favorite Beatles songs is I'll Get You. John's vocal is stunning.

Good luck with the blog.

Brad Howard
Assistant Editor
Beatlology Magazine

duckht said...

Dear Sir,
This is to inform you of the latest news concerning Ringo Starr.
Ringo Starr now has a Royal title. It is not an English title but it is a real
title.

*****************************


Ringo Starr, is now H.H. Ringo, Prinz von Bohmen, after being created
a Prince
of the Duchy of Bohemia by Letters Patent from HSH Herzog Stephan Timothy v.
Rosenberg Ripps , The Duke of Bohemia.

******************************

You can check out the web page for the Duchy at
RoyalDuchyGuard.org. The web page provide history and current information
concerning the Duke and the Duchy. If you have any questians please feel free to
contact me.


Best,
Baron von Dolin

Baron von Dolin
bevduck@comcast.net

duckht said...

Dear Sir,
This is to inform you of the latest news concerning Ringo Starr.
Ringo Starr now has a Royal title. It is not an English title but it is a real
title.

*****************************


Ringo Starr, is now H.H. Ringo, Prinz von Bohmen, after being created
a Prince
of the Duchy of Bohemia by Letters Patent from HSH Herzog Stephan Timothy v.
Rosenberg Ripps , The Duke of Bohemia.

******************************

You can check out the web page for the Duchy at
RoyalDuchyGuard.org. The web page provide history and current information
concerning the Duke and the Duchy. If you have any questians please feel free to
contact me.


Best,
Sir Ford, Baron von Dolin


Sir Ford , Baron von Dolin
bevduck@comcast.net

Palace Historian said...

Mr. Starr: We are concerned that your title has been awarded by a CORPORATION with no fons honorum. There are no news articles about this title, only blog posts.

You are too successful to be used by an internet fantasy micronation.

Please see: palacehistorian@monarchy.com